Friday, March 25, 2011

I'm rocking a homemade gardening apron- would you like to rock one, too?

It cracks me up how more and more domesticated I am becoming. It's very odd, yet cool in its own right. I think it is good for a person to have some hobbies. Furthermore, it's good for a person to have some skills. I love reading about what I would call a "throwback revolution." Young people are getting interested in small scale enterprise, local food, knitting, and basically living it up- old school. There is something awesome about baking your own bread, knitting your own hat, or watching vegetables grow right in your own yard. These types of simple things give me a strange sense of accomplishment, and really, just make my life more enjoyable.

A few years ago, Adam's mom got a new sewing machine and offered me her old one. I declined, replying, "What would I do with a sewing machine?!?" She laughed and told me that she'd save it for when I changed my mind. A couple of Halloween costumes (aka, hot glue gun disasters) later, I called her and asked for the machine. I have not done much sewing in my life. Before I got the machine, I think I'd only ever sewn scrunchies back in my tween years! I have now made several baby blankets, a slip cover for Gavin's dining room chair, and my favorite project so far- a gardening apron! When I spotted the project in a book that Adam's mom got me, I knew it was for me. First of all, totally useful to have a gardening apron. Second, I didn't need to stress out about sewing it perfectly, because it was just going to get dirty. And third, aprons are just sort of awesome. I love how it turned out! It's got plenty of flaws, but that's ok. Skills take time to develop. I've decided I will make another, in a very cool, lime green zebra print - and offer it up as a giveaway for you!

This really isn't a giveaway style blog, but what the hell! I need to practice my sewing and you want to rock one of these "Made by Jenny" gardening aprons. Why wouldn't you?!? Ok, a few of you may not. But, should you like to enter my little contest- here's how it works: simply comment what is your favorite plant. If you do not know how to comment, it's quite easy. Just hit comment and click the anonymous button if you do not have a google sign in. Just make sure you leave your name in the comment space- so I know who you are! I will select a winner, randomly on April 6th. Good luck!
You know you want one!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

My favorite plant is probably a delicate poppy. So pretty, especially in orange.

Michele said...

Oh my gosh... Lime Green and Zebra?? I sooo want!! I'm impressed with your handy work!! I have many favs... but have to stick to the Hydrangea!! We have a blue one that we planted for Brianna and a Pink/Purple one for Brendan. (I know funny.) They bloom every year... no matter the soil... stay bloomed for a long time and really are very low maintenance!!

Anonymous said...

Brian says "Mary Jane." :-)

jenny goodman said...

That apron is so cute!
My favorite plants are tulips. Its always such an amazing surprise when they come up at the end of winter/beginning of spring...they give so much hope of more wonderful and colorful things to come!

Anonymous said...

Now we can be dorks together! Lol- my favourite is tiger lilies!

Toyin

Hillary said...

I love your domesticity and find it inspirational. I love my white garden phlox -- look forward to them blooming at the end of each summer. They smell SO good!

Jolie Lucero said...

I love your idea about a give away! Fun idea! I'm trying to get more into pants but mine would be a food. Basil is a great thong to eat and smell!

Emily Adamson said...

Your hair cut looks great and I love your apron!

This contantly changes, but at the moment my favorite plant is my rose bushes. And I only say that because I just planted 8 news one and got the kind that smell really GOOD; Double Delight, Mr. Lincoln and Dick Clark. I've been reading lots about roses and am excited to tackle these guys with lots of love and care!

Missy said...

Until I have space for a real garden, I have to say I love pulling cherry tomatoes from my Topsy Turvy the most! But I also love my roses and last year I had a pretty badass container veggie garden. I love the Made By Jenny garden apron. It's super cute!

Eileen said...

jenny!! so excited you're liking sewing--you know i love doing it. fun to offer an apron you've made. i don't need it as i've got two other type from years ago. my favorite plant, though, is the lilac--it's beautiful all year even without leaves and the flowers are so wonderful in colors i adore and the smell is fantastic even if it does make me sneeze. always reminds me of my grandpa and grandma clay, my mom, and spokane "the lilac city"!

Colleen said...

I NEED a made by Jenny gardening apron!

I love peonies - they are so fleshy and beautiful. Like Missy, I don't have a legit garden, and thus also love my pot of cherry tomatoes. So does Boden - I have to put a limit on how many he can eat per day in the summer and watch him like a hawk so he doesn't go pounding down all the green ones.

You didn't ask, but my LEAST favorte is the blue-bell, which I recently started my 4th year of war against. They grow from like 10 inches under my sidewalk, with no access to light, and still make it out alive.

Lisa said...

Wow, creative lady! I love the apron! I totally want one!

I have lots of favorite plants...each for a different reason, but my most favorite is the lilac. It reminds me of being little. I had a bush outside my window and the smell would waft in - I still love that smell! I hope they will finally bloom soon - c'mon Spring!