Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A morning spent on the farm...

Gavin and I spent the morning at Indian Ladder Farms picking blueberries. There are lots of U-pick farms around here so I decided it would be a fun thing for me and the little man to go do. I definitely consider myself a city girl, through and through. Yet, there is something very compelling about farm life. The quiet in the air, the simplicity of the lifestyle, working the land to produce a bounty of fresh vegetables and fruits- I can definitely see the appeal.
We started our morning at the little market where they have an assortment of gifts and specialty food items. Gavin picked out some little stuffed farm animals- he wanted them all but eventually settled on a pig and a pony. I just can't help myself- he looked so cute holding them in the store. Here he is with his little guys - I couldn't convince him to leave them in the car while we picked berries so they eventually wound up a little wet and muddy.
Nothing like a tacky, plastic deer to amuse a toddler...
The farm is absolutely beautiful- lots of gardens and ponds. We had a nice walk through the field, making our way to the blueberry bushes. Gavin enjoyed hearing the farm animals in the background- roosters, sheep, etc. He thought the sheep were particularly funny.

Here are the blueberry bushes- such a pretty thing!
The pickings were a little slim today- as you can see many of the berries are not quite ripe yet. We were able to find enough ripe ones to fill a quart- just took us a little longer than it would on a good harvest day. I had a hard time explaining to Gavin that he could only pick the blue ones...
This was just too funny- the fields were really soaking wet from a big rainstorm so it made walking pretty difficult for Gavin- he was not amused and eventually made me carry him the rest of the way and back to the car.

2 comments:

Emily said...

What are you going to make with the blueberries you picked? Or are you just going to eat them plain?

Jenny said...

Well, they are so good that I ate a bunch on the way home! I decided to freeze them so they wouldn't go bad- but last weekend, I made Blueberry Coffeecake- YUM!