Thursday, June 10, 2010

Maybe one of my last pregnancy posts- let's make it a rant!

So I sit here after another terrible night of tossing and turning. I do not remember Gavin moving so much at night. This baby kicks all night long and shifts around as much as I do. I keep telling the kid that there is much more room to stretch outside my tummy. Come join us little one! I don't want to complain too much as this could very well be my last pregnancy. It really is an amazing experience to feel your baby move inside of you. Yet, I can't help complaining when I feel like my lungs are shoved up to my collar bone, causing me to be short of breath!

I have to admit, I'm getting quite a kick out of strangers feeling the need to share their own theory on what gender the baby is. I was at the grocery store last week and some lady told me that it is definitely a boy because my skin looks too good to be a girl. Really? I wonder if she goes up to people and says, "Your skin looks like crap, must be a girl!"

The checker at Target told me that she thought it was a girl for sure. You see, I'm carrying the baby really low- definitely means pink! Or, could it be that I'm nearly 37 weeks and the baby has dropped? Or- was it a boy when I was carrying the baby high and then it magically turned into a girl a couple of weeks ago? Mysterious, I tell you!

Theories are definitely better than touching. Fortunately, I think my facial expressions are pretty telling and when a stranger even considers pawing, my face must say, "Oh, hell no!" I have a big enough space bubble with people I'm comfortable with- I don't need some random lady's hands on my belly! I get that people are drawn to pregnant women and babies, but honestly, that's just inappropriate!

Well, there is not much else to rant about. We have the baby's room ready- we painted the walls a buttery yellow color and set up the crib. We hung a few pictures but are otherwise waiting to see if it's a boy or a girl before we buy any other decor. If it's a boy, I'd like to man it up for him a bit, with some navy blues and other bright colors. If it's a girl, I'm thinking blue and white floral bedding and accessories. Gavin is now in a twin sized bed, his big-boy-bed. He's very excited about that, especially his dinosaur sheets. I also got him another sheet set with animals reading books. I'm going to surprise him with those when he's having an emotional day when baby is taking all my attention. I have a few little things like that to help him cope and feel special. Anyhow, I will take pictures of both of their rooms after baby is born.

Who knows, my due date is still 3 weeks away. There could be some serious rants coming if baby takes that long to make its appearance. I've got it in my head that I have, at most, a week left. I was so lucky to skip this uncomfortable stage of pregnancy with Gavin. I really hope I'm not writing another pregnancy post in July! At the same time, as soon as the little one is here, that means I have to start taking care of 2 kids! Hmm... maybe baby should hang out a while longer...

6 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so excited for you, I really do hope s/he comes soon!

Missy said...

Home stretch! The wives tales about gender are so funny, aren't they? Half the time they're not true. Hoping the next post or two is about a new baby! :)

Anonymous said...

What's all this talk about this being your last pregnancy??? You're having at least one more! Any boy name updates?

-juliebug

Eileen said...

i asked my dr. how he knew dl was a girl. (b.u.--before ultra sound) he said he'd ask mom what she wanted--if she said girl, he'd say you're having a boy, and vice versa. that way, whatever happened he was covered. he could say i told you x when you said y. or he could say well...so happy you got what you wanted! i'd say hang in there, but you already are!!

Emily said...

Love your new blog design. I think from here on out when people tell you what the gender is you should get a really disappointed look on your face and say "oh I wish you hadn't told me, we wanted it to be a surprise!"

Jenny said...

Emily, that is hilarious! I wish I would have thought of that! I will definitely use that line!