Olivia is two weeks old today. It sort of feels like the time went fast but also feels like she was born a long time ago. The past two weeks are almost a bit of a blur. Julie went home on Tuesday morning and I am officially flying solo with the kids during the day. So far, things are going pretty well. I have decided that I am just going to appreciate that my new life really is "adventures in chaos." I have to approach each day with an open mind and minimal expectations of getting much accomplished. I have already made a few observations on how to best function thus far- I thought I'd share them with you.
1. Get a morning shower while I have a chance- this is more important than 10 more minutes of sleep.
2. Embrace two cosmetics: mascara and lipgloss. The mascara does an ok job of making me look less tired. More importantly, the lipgloss diverts attention from my sleepy eyes by drawing attention downward! I realize that nobody is here to see me but when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I feel just a bit better!
3. Spend zero time on planning what to wear- there is a 95% chance I will be puked on or pooped on before noon. And, if those two things do not happen, there is still at least a 5% chance that Gavin will spray me down with the hose when we play outside. While on this subject, make sure to keep up on laundry as all 3 of us seem to change clothes at least twice a day.
4. Do at least one thing for myself each day. Whether that is watering my garden, writing this blog, reading a magazine- I have to maintain some form of balance. Adam encouraged me to go meet my friend for a glass of wine last night. I hesitated but realized that he too wants to make sure that I get out of the house and get a chance to be me and not just Gavin and Olivia's mommy.
5. Finally, when it feels like shit has really hit the fan- look at the picture below, sigh, and count my damn blessings!